Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Here in the UK its been Father's Day ... not a traditional celebration for some of us, but growing in popularity.  My own Father tended to treat it with a certain amount of scepticism, considering it to be a 'made up day', but these days is happy to receive a phone call as an acknowledgement.
I have been spending the day with my youngest daughter, giving her a lift to see her Dad, as she doesn't drive.  But first we got to spend some time together, with the youngest grandchild, who is just learning to crawl :-) and she demonstrated her skills to her Grandpa on skype video.  We put the laptop on the floor, and she shuffled her way across to it, an irresistible draw as she is not allowed to touch it :-)  My husband (step dad to my daughter) was thrilled to see the little one do her thing, and of course to chat to her mum :-)
My eldest daughter's status on FB said something like any **** can father a child, but it takes a real man to be a dad, and I am very lucky that I have two.  She then went on to congratulate her current partner for his parenting of his own 2 girls, her own 2 boys and their son.  Yes a big mixed family, and very happy and proud we all are.
Its all about loving each other for who we are, and being proud of our children and our part in their lives.
Having a 'blended' or extended family, it was good to see the children contacting both their natural (biological) father and step-father today, and acknowledging both as being parents in their lives.
My daughter had some old family photos of before her father and I split up, and some before she was even born.  We had a good chuckle at some of them - bad hairstyles and glasses, and the sweet faces of the kids when they were very small.  Emotional stuff, but good emotions, and wonder that I was ever so young and slim!
We saw lots of similarities between my girls and their children, even those who initially did not seem to take after their parent!  It was a fun day, and the visit to Dad went well too, so a good day all round.

And now I am settled at the end of the day, in reflective mood, but with a warm feeling of family. Not much to add, but just a good day to share :-) enjoy your families and remember those who care for you just because ... and that's what family is all about!  

1 comment:

  1. My granddaughter is part of a blended family and I thank heaven everyone gets along great! It can be so horrible when they don't.

    ReplyDelete

I'd be delighted to receive your feedback and comments