Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Recovered / half term visits

Well, I have made it through my first day back at work since arriving back from USA, and only a minor wobble in the sleep department.  Thank goodness no one was with me, I keep the tiredness away when I am driving by singing ... loudly LOL

Maypole
So its half term, which was great for my commuting today from Bedfordshire to Hampshire as there was minimal traffic.  And its visiting time for the eldest daughter and the family from Staffordshire for the end of half term.  The original plan was for them to come down on Friday and for the eldest 2 boys stay for another night with Grandma, and I would return them on Sunday, but the bug from hell has hit the clan.
First it was Dad, then it was the youngest boy, then the next boy up, then Mum, and now the eldest boy ... it really doesn't bode well. Fortunately it didn't hit the eldest girl, as she was part of the Maypole dancing team for the weekend and what a brilliant time they all had.

So proud of her for dancing so well - lots of fierce concentration faces during the dances, but she really enjoyed herself.
She also enjoyed the decoration of the perfect white shoes once it was all over - so keen, she didn't manage to clean them first ;-)
Re-designed shoes :-)
The pictures are a cat motif - she is very attached to my daughter's Tonkinese John-cat. To give him his full name - Lord John Marbury! yes we give our cats ridiculous names, but isn't that the joy of cats, you can call them whatever you want, without the embarrassment of having to call them in the park!  And John-cat developed his name when the boys were little, and learning the name of the cat - this is "John" - a "cat" - and eventually John-cat!

So the bug may stop the half term holiday plans, and the inconvenient working thing meant I missed out on the Maypole dancing, and being an 'access' grandparent, I don't get to have as close a relationship with my step-grandchildren as I do with my daughter's boys.  Its tough - you want to be inclusive and I definitely feel them to be part of the family, but thanks to the access arrangement, and me being on the 'step' side of the relationship, it is difficult to build the same connections that you have with children you see more often, and have seen more often since their arrival.  Although having said that, the last time I visited when they were all there, you could have heard the happy yells of "Grandma" a mile away when I turned up at the door LOL  And much as I love the youngest boy, I'm not as close to him either, as the distance means he sees me much less than his other grandparents, who live around the corner.  But he is only young yet - about 16 months old, and we have plenty of time.  
In fact, there is plenty of time all round - having brought up a 'blended family' (yeuch, I do not like that label - I was quite happy being dysfunctional LOL) I am secure in the understanding that there is plenty of love to go around, and that no blood relationship will ever be as strong as the ties of nurture.  Kids know who love them and care about them, and that is what really matters.
And the delight of being home again has meant I have spent time with my youngest grandchild, all of 5 months old, and doing that amazing weekly (no, daily) development of skills - sitting up, commando crawling across the floor, rolling over, and being happy - giggling.  She is a sweet, chubby, happy little girl and I am so proud of my daughter for being a great Mum.  

In fact both my daughters are fabulous Mums - its very humbling to see them being so mature and coping so very well with everything and being such brilliant Mums with their adorable children (I may be just a little bit biased LOL).

Well that's my post for the moment - I make no apology for the banal burbling ... until I have something meaningful to say, I will simply use this as a public diary for thoughts and feelings, as I feel the need to share.  And I must remember to ask my kids if they are happy for me to share names and pictures on here, and then I will get the doting Grandma bit out of my system!

1 comment:

  1. If you have to give them nicknames (I do) I hope you will share them. Grandchildren are such a gift! Glad things are getting back to normal and the jet lag wasn't a serious issue. Sleep is my favorite hobby, even though I don't do it well. I practice every chance I get!

    ReplyDelete

I'd be delighted to receive your feedback and comments